- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 56.8 million people, including 25.7 million people in their last year of life, are in need of palliative care. Only 14% of them currently receive it.
- The Ministry of Health Malaysia (MOH) estimates that every year, approximately 100,000 people in Malaysia who suffer from serious progressive illnesses require palliative care, and currently less than 10% have access to it.
- In a survey done in 2016, 90% Malaysians are not aware of palliative care. Lack of awareness leaves many Malaysians suffering unnecessary pain other psycho-social issues from the impact of the illness.
This year’s PCAM theme is “Healing Hearts & Communities”. As we learn to navigate life in a post-Covid world, we are reminded of the millions of families and caregivers grieving the deaths of their loved ones, and many more whose loved ones continue to face the diagnosis of other serious illnesses.
The theme is about healing together. Because the journey of healing and moving forward should not be lonely path. It does take a ‘village’, or in this day, the community, to help one another move on despite a loss or impending loss. It is our hope that with the highest level of quality medical care combined with the emotional and spiritual support that families need when facing a serious illness, grieving and healing can occur despite the challenges.
As we continue our efforts to educate the public on the importance of palliative care, we invite you to join us strengthen Palliative Care Awareness Month 2023 further by your participation!
Join us during PCAM 2023 to:
Celebrate Palliative Care Awareness Month by joining us to advocate for better access to palliative care for all to ensure that no one needs to walk the journey of a serious progressive illness on their own.
- Create bespoke merchandise with your company logo. You can email to email@example.com to enquire more.
- Have us give a talk to employees at your company/ university/ school etc either in person or via website.
Talking about serious illnesses and death can be difficult. Buy our merchandise and get the conversation started. Choose from our range of merchandise here!